Why You Should Embrace Your Personal Brand

“No, no, no. I can’t be a brand.” said Holley Gerth.

What made her change her mind?

“Publishers, readers, and partners wanted to know who I was and what I was all about. A personal brand was a concise way to share my heart and my message effectively. But I was still nervous.”

So, what was one idea that changed her mind and enabled her to embrace her brand?

It’s a secret that Stephanie told her and it made all the difference.

Comments

1. Donna says:

Hi you all,

I can’t go to Pinterest without the song in my head “Pin It. Just Pin It” =D That was a very fun video.

I was wondering when you need a brand. I’m writing my first small ebook and two chapters are in for edit. Should i start developing it now, or after the book is in “print?” Or maybe even later on? And when should it be set as a brand?

If you’re not able to answer individual comments on here don’t worry. I was just curious. Thanks.

• Hi Donna! I’m glad our little music video was so contagious. :)

Regarding your personal brand, you already have one. So, you might as well start owning it, taking care of it, and preparing it for the release of your ebook. Brands aren’t connected to formats or mile-markers like we’re lead to believe by big companies in the past. You might want to consider our Branding Package that will help you develop your personal brand and prepare for the exciting road ahead.

2. Kristin says:

This is great to know and I love watching videos of you two! ;o)

I would love for you guys to share more about personal branding. How do you go about it if you already have other brands? How do you attach a personal brand to an established blog name/brand?

Thanks guys!!

3. I love your definition of “personal brand”. What a magnificent way to view my personal brand!!
    Thank you for helping to more clearly define.

4. Brooke says:

I am wondering if a personal brand is like a mission statement? Is it a tag line on a blog or more like a specific look? Thanks for introducing this concept so well! I look forward to more posts.
    Brooke

• Great questions, Brooke. We’ll have to cover these in more detail on future videos. For now, remember a personal brand is so much more than a mission statement, a tag line or how your blog looks. All of those are expressions that flow from your overarching personal brand.

5. Haley says:

Loved your words today… I loved what you said about your personal brand being a “promise” that your going to be who you are-all the time, wherever anyone finds you!

6. GREAT ah-HA!

I’ve been resisting a “niche” or “brand” for years, since I have so many different interests. But I think I’m finally discovering the one thread that they all have in common.

On a pre She Speaks conference call, we were challenged to ask ourselves, “What one topic do I see myself still speaking on and writing 5 years from now?” and that really helped.

7. Oooh, I love that definition! I think I’ve been afraid of brand because I thought it would box me in and I could never change. But looking at it as a promise helps me see the things I want to always represent. My paintings may change, I might add crafts I’m not even doing right now to my shop, but that doesn’t change the things I promise to be. Am I understanding that right?

• Stephanie says:

A brand can actually give you freedom, to embrace who you’ve been designed to be and how best you serve your reader/customer. Sounds to me, just from your comment, that you’re passionate about visual arts. That’s a wide spectrum, but what is the role you play in that arena? What is the one thing that your customer will find in you that they can’t find anywhere else? The consistency is in you + your work. Hope that helps!

8. Mitzi Eaker says:

Good insight on personal branding. Looking forward to hearing more, especially in the area of having multiple brands under one personal brand.

Love what you two are doing!

9. Trina Holden says:

You gals rock. Your teamwork is inspiring, and these videos are great. I finally watched the Pinterpretation Music Video and I just have to say, you have guts. Loved it! Thanks for your passion and heart to serve us!

Trackbacks

1. [...] be disciplined enough to get up early or eat right or exercise. I won’t write, or blog, or brand, or brainstorm, or catch up on email, or do any of the things that it seems I could be doing in all [...]